Kitchen Safety: Grease Fires
Kitchen Safety 101: Grease Fire Basics
Always give your full attention to cooking. It's sometimes difficult to do when family members are both working and schooling from home, but it is essential. Forty-nine percent of home fires begin with cooking equipment, and thirty-three percent of those are from unattended equipment! A moment's distraction could end in tragedy.
A grease fire is the most common type of kitchen fire. Smoking oil is a sign that the burner is too hot! Should a fire develop, turn off the heat immediately! When frying on the stovetop, always have a lid nearby to suffocate a fire. It is also important to keep a large box of baking soda on-hand to put out a small grease fire. Never pour water on a grease fire – it will only make it worse! Every kitchen should have a fire extinguisher as a last resort.
Once you've finished cooking, always clean up any grease splatter on and around the stove. Thoroughly clean the heating elements or glass top so remnants cannot catch fire the next time the stove is in use.