How to Remove Smoke Odor in Atascadero
How to Remove Smoke Odor
The lingering smells of smoke from cigarettes and cigars are irritating for many. Candles, kitchen stoves, toasters, fireplaces and the dreaded unintentional fires also emit smoke odors that waft through a home, leaving homeowners scratching their heads for effective methods to cleanse the inside air.
Problems with Smoke Odor
The smell of smoke is far from welcoming. In fact, small smoke particles from wood smoke can trigger respiratory reactions. People with asthma, a lung condition or a heart condition will experience wheezing and chest tightness when they breathe in the wood smoke particles. Other ill effects of breathing in smoke particles include an exacerbation of the asthma or bronchitis sufferers’ symptoms.
Older people especially must preserve their health against smoke fumes, since seniors are more likely than young people to have chronic lung or heart ailments. Children, too, are vulnerable to the ill effects of second hand smoke. Reports indicate 7,500 to 15,000 children are hospitalized with respiratory tract infections caused by secondhand smoke.
Inhaling smoke can be deadly. In the United States, approximately 3,000 people die annually as a main result of smoke inhalation caused by residential fires.
Tips for Removing Smoke Odor
Smoke particles cause the unpleasant smell of smoke. When left unchecked, the smoke particles remain in place, continuously unleashing the smoke odors. To effectively remove the smell of smoke, the smoke particles must be dislodged. Simply masking the odors with scented products does little to resolve the underlying odor issue.
When homeowners spend 90 percent of their time indoors, improving the air quality is an important task. An ozone generator is a homeowner’s most effective tool, as it removes the actual smoke particles that cause the smoke odors. Ozone generators can be rented, which leads to hefty expenses.
Here is how to remove smoke odor from your home using a variety of methods:
Vinegar is a common household product with many functional uses. Place bowls of white vinegar throughout the home. The vinegar will absorb odors over the span of several days, leaving the rooms with a fresh scent. Homeowners also have the option of wiping down the walls, floors, and other areas affected by smoke with white vinegar.
Another product frequently found within the home is baking soda, and homeowners have easy access to the powerful cleansing effects of this natural odor reducer. Similar to the odor absorption powers of white vinegar, baking soda can be placed in bowls around the home. The baking soda will absorb the smoke odors. Homeowners can also sprinkle generous amounts of baking soda along carpets and furniture, leaving the baking soda to sit for a few hours, then vacuuming.
Bust open the doors and windows on a fine summer day. The gusts of clean outside air will gradually thin out the smoky odors. Smoke smells will blow away in the wind, leaving your home with improved air quality.
The charcoal grillers use on their grill is an effective odor absorber. An air purifier that features a charcoal filter is an excellent way to combat smoke odors. Homeowners can also place bowls of charcoal around the home to eliminate smoke smells. The charcoal absorbs smoke odors, in the same vein as vinegar and baking soda.
Smokers who smoke inside the home can put a bowl of charcoal close to the ashtray to instantly absorb the smoke. Prevent recurring smoke odors by not permitting smoking indoors.
When you’re done reading the comics, scrunch up the newspaper into a ball. Leave the newspaper around the home and experience its gradual, odor-eating abilities. Newspapers are excellent odor absorbers, though the effects may take 48 hours to materialize.
Grab a rag and wash down the walls with Borax. The Borax works to remove the actual smoke particles stuck to the walls or flooring, so it is a far better method than absorption. Wipe down your walls with 2 gallons of water combined with a half cup of Borax and a half teaspoon of dishwashing liquid. Rinse away the solution with clean water. The smoke particles and the resulting odors will be washed down the drain.
Smoke particles that have become lodged into carpets, upholstery and curtains can be effectively eliminated by a powerful steam cleaner. While most homeowners are not likely to have a steam cleaner sitting around the house, one can be inexpensively rented from a local hardware store. Use this gadget to deep clean every fabric surface.
Another odor absorber, Febreeze works because it contains a chemical compound known as cyclodextrin, which grips odors. Spray Febreeze generously around the home to reduce the smells of smoke.
Professional Smoke Odor Removal Services
The most effective way to eliminate smoke odors is to hire a professional smoke damage restoration company. The technicians will zap away the smoke particles with advanced technology, leaving your home, its furnishings and all surfaces free from the overpowering elements of smoke.
SERVPRO Morro Bay to King City is a reputable fire and smoke damage restoration service provider. Our specialists are trained and experienced in resolving odor issues related to smoke, soot and fire. Every household item the smoke particles have settled into, from stainless steel, marble and tile to upholstery and carpeting, will be thoroughly cleansed.
Our skilled technicians are experts in smoke odor mitigation. Advanced technology is utilized as a powerful means of odor elimination. SERVPRO of Morro Bay to King City professionals use hydroxyl and ozone deodorization to dislodge all smoke particles and the resulting odors. Our technicians will also pinpoint the source of the smoke odors and remove it immediately.
Smoke odor is a messy matter. When left alone, smoke can permanently damage household furnishings and structural elements of a home. Swift and proper cleaning will ensure the affected property within a home is restored.
SERVPRO Morro Bay to King City, reliably serves the San Luis Obispo County and Monterey County, communities of homes and businesses. We are available 24 hours a day to take emergency calls.
How Dry Is Dry In Your King City Home?
How Dry Is Dry?
When you experience water damage to your King City, CA home or business, how do you know when it is really dry?
At SERVPRO of Morro Bay/King City, we have certified technicians that use professional techniques and equipment like moisture meters to ensure the proper amount of drying has taken place.
Did you know that some materials can be over-dried? Things like wood floors and some building materials require a certain amount of moisture to maintain their strength and shape. The proper amount can also be dependent on several factors like elevation and region.
Our technicians know exactly how much moisture is appropriate for all of the materials in your home, and will be sure to restore them correctly.
If you have water damage in King City, call SERVPRO Morro Bay to King City 24 hours a day @ 805-674-5771. We look forward to hearing from you!
3 Services SERVPRO Provides After Storms
3 Services SERVPRO Provides
Demand for damage mitigation and restoration services spikes after a severe storm's in Morro Bay. Insurance agents and adjusters need to be able to rely on a local mitigation and restoration company to provide timely storm response services. Here are three services that make a local SERVPRO Morro Bay to King City the right choice for storm restoration.
1. Disaster Response
No matter how many properties are affected by a storm, a Disaster Response Team can arrive on each location within a matter of hours. Independent mitigation and restoration services are more likely to be backlogged than a national corporation that can dispatch employees and equipment from nearby franchises to areas that have experienced large losses.
2. Mitigation and Cleanup
The initial stage of storm response involves mitigating damage. In the case of structural damage, this may involve boarding up broken windows or breaches in a building envelope or tarping over a damaged roof. Standing water resulting from flood damage should be extracted as soon as possible. A full-service company can ensure that these initial measures contribute toward complete storm restoration.
3. All-In-One Restoration
A company that offers mitigation and restoration services can reduce the workload on insurance agents and adjusters while simplifying the claim process for property owners. Relying on a one-stop shop may make miscommunication less likely, prevent scheduling conflicts and allow for a faster and more thorough restoration job. Depending on a single service also means that the initial estimate is likely to be more accurate.
These storm restoration services set SERVPRO Morro Bay to King City apart from independent companies. The business model means that each location has the backing of a national corporation and the ability to call on nearby locations for additional personnel and equipment. A single estimate from a service that can clean up damage and rebuild a commercial property can also be more convenient for insurance agents, adjusters, and clients.
How to Deal with Frozen Pipes
Now that the colder temperatures are approaching us all on the Central Coast area (hard to believe in this heat), it is worth remembering some of the effects that winter weather has on our home.
The cold weather affects us all in one way or another, and our home as well. SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City would like to offer the tips below to help you prevent frozen water pipes.
How to Deal with Frozen Pipes
- Disconnect and drain garden hoses.
- Cover outside faucets with insulating foam covers.
- Turn off water to outside faucets, if available, and open valves on faucets to allow them to drain.
- Turn off sprinkler system and blow compressed air through the lines to drain them.
- Close or cover foundation vents under house and windows to basements.
- Close garage doors.
- Insulate exposed pipes (both hot and cold) under house with foam pipe insulation.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks.
- Drip hot and cold faucets in kitchen and bath. Drip single control faucets with lever set in middle.
- Set ice maker to make ice if the water line to it runs under the house.
- Don’t forget to check on pipes to your washing machine in the laundry room
- Locate water main cut-off valve, and have a cut-off key handy.
- Use a hair dryer, heat lamp, electric heat tape, or a portable space heater to thaw frozen pipes that have not burst.
- Keep the faucet open when thawing frozen pipes to allow water to begin flowing through it.
- After the weather has warmed above freezing and any frozen pipes have thawed, turn off dripping faucets and monitor your water meter to check for unseen leaks.
SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City
Please give us a call if you have any questions or if we can be of further assistance.
Faster to your Paso Robles Water Damage
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Morro Bay to King City provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Morro Bay to King City arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (805) 674-5771
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Morro Bay to King City
SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Keeping Your Business Protected in Storms
While we just welcomed the spring season, Central Coast residents know that the rains are here! Protecting your commercial property form severe storms is critical for business owners of all kinds. When a big storm is approaching, the best strategy for business owners is to be proactive it preparedness in order to protect your employees, your property, and your business as a whole.
Minimizing damage is essential for your business in the event of a major rainstorm. Things like high winds and heavy rain can do a lot more damage than many would think. As such, it is important to take careful note of the following tips for keeping your business protected in storms:
- Remain watchful of storm forecasts to give yourself plenty of time to prepare
- Make sure that your employees all have specific action plans in place
- Keep your staff contact list updated and readily available
- Check your utilities to make sure that your lines are not connected
- Ensure that your landscaping is trimmed and prepared for storm winds
- Unclog your gutters
- Double check your fire protection equipment
- Remove any potential debris from the commercial property
- Give your staff ample time to leave and prepare their own homes
With heavy rains and high winds, it is important to prepare sooner rather than later. Commercial water damage can be stressful, but SERVPRO is here to make sure that you can go back to business as usual as soon as possible following a large storm. Our team of commercial property damage professionals will take care of your property like it’s our own! Call us today to learn more!
Tips for Business Owners to Reduce Liability Claims
Being aware of the possibility of a liability claim is the first step in being proactive to prevent this from happening.
General liability insurance claims are those that typically come from either your customers or your vendors. As a small business owner, the ability to reduce the risk of these potential lawsuits is imperative for keeping your business running smoothly. One of the most common claims comes from slip and fall accidents. In these situations, a customer is walking through your store when they fall on the wet floor, causing injury or damages. In this scenario, the business is often held responsible for the accident and will therefore be liable for any type of injury or any damage that the fall caused. Being aware of the possibility of a liability claim is the first step in being proactive to prevent this from happening.
While there are certainly things out of the hands of a business owner, preemptive measures can absolutely be taken to reduce the likelihood of something like that occurring. Keep the following tips in mind to reduce liability claims in your business:
- Be sure to keep the store well-lit so that customers can see where they are walking. We also advise that you conduct emergency lighting system checks each month.
- Keep floors and carpeting as clean as possible. Place signage in areas that could be deemed a potential walking hazard.
- Install handrails on any stairways in the building.
- When a spill occurs, place an employee near the spill to warn customers until the spill is properly cleaned.
- Keep the bathrooms extremely tidy.
- Check the outside walkways near your store and look for any potential hazards.
- Keep trash and any other clutter away from the areas where customers walk.
- Be aware of condensation drips from things like air conditioners and refrigerators.
- Avoid the use of extension cords and other dangerous items in areas where foot traffic is heavy.
General liability insurance is crucial for business owners. However, it is important to continually make improvements to keep your store as safe as possible for all of your patrons. If you are in search of a reliable, professional commercial restoration and cleaning service, contact SERVPRO at your earliest convenience!
Minimizing Safety Hazards in the Workplace
The following are some important tasks in the effort to minimize safety hazards in the workplace.
Protecting both your workers and your customers from workplace injuries is extremely important. Employers are tasked with the responsibility to create a safe environment for anyone stepping foot on their commercial property, and this can seem like an overwhelmingly daunting and stressful duty. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), over 4,000 workers in the United States were killed on the job in 2014. The construction industry leads the pack in terms of the most workplace fatalities. However, workplace injuries are far more common and are the focus of our article today.
The ability to minimize safety risks in the workplace while educating the staff about their possible risks is imperative to keeping everyone as safe as possible. Both routine plans and emergency plans should be set in stone and communicated to the entire workforce. The following are some important tasks in the effort to minimize safety hazards in the workplace:
- Clearly communicate all safety and health policies to entire staff
- Pay special attention to things like slippery flooring and poor lighting, as slip and fall accidents account for about one-third of all workplace injuries
- Survey the entire property to identify any and all possible risks
- Prominently display safety information throughout the property
- Be aware of fire safety standards
- Keep the property clean at all times
- Encourage feedback from staff and customers regarding safety improvements
- Update safety policies and procedures at least once per year
While some industries are known to be “dangerous” and procedures are in place accordingly, other industries that are deemed “safe” may fall through the cracks and not be prepared for workplace accidents. Whether you are an employer or an employee, it is important to take an active role in ensuring that proper workplace safety measures are taken and enforced at all times.
OSHA Guidelines For Fire Extinguishers
SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City knows that the proper use of fire extinguishers can prevent fire from destroying lives.
Owning a fire extinguisher is not enough. The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) requires that employers train their employees how and when to use fire extinguishers. They must provide the training shortly after the employee is hired, and then every year thereafter.
OSHA does not allow untrained employees to use a fire extinguisher.
OSHA also requires monthly inspections of the fire extinguishers.
Fire extinguishers have to be placed where they cannot be moved or damaged..
The carrying handle should be 3-1/2 to 5 feet above the floor.
Employees must know when to use fire extinguishers.
SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City suggests asking yourself these questions regarding fire extinguishers.
- Have I pulled the fire alarm?
- Is the fire extinguisher easy to reach?
- Do I know how to use it?
- Is the fire contained in a small area?
- Is the smoke non-toxic?
- Can everyone get out?
- Do I have an escape route?
If you can answer “yes” to all of the questions, it is reasonable to use the fire extinguisher.
SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City reminds you that fire is fast. If you cannot contain it within 30 seconds, get everyone out of the area. Call 9-1-1 once you are outside.
Prevent Mold Growth In Your Central Coast Business
SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City is licensed in mold remediation. We hope you never have a mold problem.
Mold starts growing within 24 hours of exposure to moisture.
To prevent mold from getting a start in your office building, SERVPRO of Morro Bay / King City suggests:
- Elevate equipment above floor when possible
- Repair leaky pipes
- Remove any damp areas near sinks and tubs
- Maintain humidity below 40%
- Use water-resistant materials when you build or rebuild. Materials include:
- galvanized or stainless-steel hardware
- waterproof wallboard
- sealed stone
- sealed concrete
- water-resistant glues
- synthetic fibers
- Use gutters to divert rain water
- Landscape, so water moves away from the house
- Cover dirt in crawl spaces. Moisture can seep up through dirt
- Ventilate as much as possible
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines a “large amount” of mold as 10 square feet or more. The EPA rules that only licensed professionals can remediate large areas.
You cannot prevent storms or floods. However, if a storm or flood affects you, we can help you clean up the damage.