Tips for Business Owners to Reduce Liability Claims
General liability insurance claims are those that typically come from either your customers or your vendors. As a small business owner, the ability to reduce the risk of these potential lawsuits is imperative for keeping your business running smoothly. One of the most common claims comes from slip and fall accidents. In these situations, a customer is walking through your store when they fall on the wet floor, causing injury or damages. In this scenario, the business is often held responsible for the accident and will therefore be liable for any type of injury or any damage that the fall caused. Being aware of the possibility of a liability claim is the first step in being proactive to prevent this from happening.
While there are certainly things out of the hands of a business owner, preemptive measures can absolutely be taken to reduce the likelihood of something like that occurring. Keep the following tips in mind to reduce liability claims in your business:
- Be sure to keep the store well-lit so that customers can see where they are walking. We also advise that you conduct emergency lighting system checks each month.
- Keep floors and carpeting as clean as possible. Place signage in areas that could be deemed a potential walking hazard.
- Install handrails on any stairways in the building.
- When a spill occurs, place an employee near the spill to warn customers until the spill is properly cleaned.
- Keep the bathrooms extremely tidy.
- Check the outside walkways near your store and look for any potential hazards.
- Keep trash and any other clutter away from the areas where customers walk.
- Be aware of condensation drips from things like air conditioners and refrigerators.
- Avoid the use of extension cords and other dangerous items in areas where foot traffic is heavy.
General liability insurance is crucial for business owners. However, it is important to continually make improvements to keep your store as safe as possible for all of your patrons. If you are in search of a reliable, professional commercial restoration and cleaning service, contact SERVPRO at your earliest convenience!